Follow Me on Pinterest Pin this content to keep your yoga sustainable!
I took a kick-ass embodied movement flow class in Ubud, Bali the other week. The instructor had us moving without any yoga mats or yoga props.
The way he controlled his movements showed just how much essential strength he had. It wasn’t just about flexibility, it was about moving with motor control.
Here’s a sequence he had us do at the start of our practice:
1. Walk forward
2. Walk back
3. Walk forward, keep the right foot forward, then lower into a squat
4. Walk back
5. Walk forward, keep the left foot forward, then lower into a squat
6. Walk back
7. Walk forward on the outer arches of our feet
8. Repeat steps 2-6 with outer arches
9. Walk forward on the inner arches of our feet
10. Repeat steps 2-6 with inner arches
11. Walk forward on the balls of our feet
12. Repeat steps 2-6 with balls of feet
13. Walk forward on the heels of our feet
14. Repeat steps 2-6 with heels of feet
This was an INSANE warm-up. It was only the beginning!
What happened after involved lowering down into a squat, sitting down, lengthening our legs forward, then sitting back up to a squat and rising up to standing.
It got even crazier than that, so I’ll spare you the details.
Watch this video below to hear my cues and see me demonstrate Steps 1-14. Click the “CC” button to see the words if you’d like to practice without needing to hear me!
Hope this helps!!
Julie (Your Head Rogue Yogi)